This is a brief outline of what we will be doing with the project. Items are subject to change as we further develop the project.
Meeting at SXSW, 2pm;
Over the break, review the SXSW schedule and our site. You must complete at least one preview that include interviews with participants and one “Where Are They Now?” profile by the first meeting of the semester. You will be assigned sections from which to select your previews and names of past participants. I will give you access to our site, and you will be able to begin posting content in January. We can address any questions you have about these profiles during the first Skype on Jan. 17.
Start your own preliminary schedule.
You will also need to review our site and be prepared to make recommendations for any new items or coverage sxtxstate.com. Consider other features and elements you want to recommend.
In addition, work on your social presence over the break. More than what you shouldn’t do, what should you do to improve your social presence.
6:30pm Skype – you will receive information about how to maximize the efficiency of our Skype meetings.
- Begin reviewing SXSW Schedule
- 20 Tips for Surviving and Thriving at SXSW
- 20 Tips You Must Know Before SXSW
- Cindy’s Survival Tips from 2008
- Another 1st Timers Guide
- SXSW – Do It Like a Local
- Hugh’s SXSW Tips
- Brad King Survival Guide
- Behind the Blog – SXTXState 2008 – watch Part I and II. I shot this video of the participants and former students I ran into during SXSW 2008.
- General timeline
- Site design ideas; About page photos and content
- Initial previews
- Social Media Strategy
- Content Plan
- Other ideas
- Tech Under Trump Programming
- How to Decide Which Conferences Are Worth Your Time – HBR, 2017
- New Iconic Building for SXSW
- SXSW Community Grants
- Expanded access for film badges
- Expanded access for music badges
- South By South Lawn 2016
We’re actually going to meet in person on Jan. 24 at 3:30pm in JCK 960 – with University Advancement and University Marketing.
- Facebook’s Virtual Reality Tech Was Not Stolen, Testifies Zuckerberg
- SXSW Releases Judges for 2017 Accelerator Pitch Event
- Terrence Malick’s Song to Song to Open SXSW
- Vine is Dead, but Social Media Creativity Will Live On – Mashable, January 2017
- This is the Year Donald Trump Kills Net Neutrality – Wired, 2017
- Texas State University to Feature Student Work at Innovation Lab, Feb. 2016
- TXST Innovation Lab at SXSW
- Students Showcase Innovations at SXSW, University Star, March 2016
- At SXSW, Students Tracked Trends in Social Media, VR, Bots and Big Data, MediaShift 2016
- TXST Students to Cover SXSW Interactive 2012 During Break – 2012 press release
- Dozen TXST Students Blog at SXSW 2008 – 2008 press release
- SXSW Interactive Oral History – Fast Company
Jan. 31 – Skype
Website update – Dylan
Content schedule update – Rachel
- Jennifer Doudna on Genome Engineering, TED Talk
- Adam Grant: The Surprising Habits of Original Thinkers, TED Talk
- Cory Richards: Pushing the Boundaries of Adventure – National Geographic
- HBCU Sending Students to SXSW
- Info about new badge status at SXSW
- NYT – Journalism That Stands Apart Report, 2017
- Fast Company Names SXSW One of Most Innovative Companies for Live Events – 2015
- From Blogs to Glass: Experiential Learning Through SXSW, EdShift March 2014
- FBI Director James Comey to Speak at SXSW
- SXSW Announces 50 Finalists for Accelerator
- Eric Schmidt to Googlers: Trump Will Do “Evil Things” – The Verge
- The Fate of Net Neutrality Still Up in the Air in Trump Era – Buzzfeed
- SXSW Statement on Travel Ban
- Tech Companies Meet on Legal Challenges to Trump Immigration Order, Reuters
- Texas A&M to Host Five Days of SXSW
Site Launch – tonight
Social Strategy Update – Jordan and Breanna
Content schedule update – Rachel
Evrybit evaluation – Charles
- Featured Speakers
- Hugh Forrest on Straight From the Top
- Hugh Forrest at Mass Comm Week
- SXSW Public Safety Needs Reviewed with City Council – Nov. 2015
- SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards
- Uber CEO Leaves Trump Council, NPR
- Snap Files for IPO, LA Times
- 10 Cool Changes for SXSW 2017, Hugh Forrest, Medium
- More Keynotes and Featured Speakers
- YouTube Announces Live Mobile
- Apple Plans for AR Glasses
Video Project update – Charles
Social Promotion Ideas – Jordan
- Featured Speakers:
PewDiePie Just Showed Every Brand Why Influencers Are Dangerous
Apple Reality Show?
Elon Musk Says We Must Become Cyborgs To Interface With Artificial Intelligence
Political Issues Take Center Stage at SXSW
4 Keys to SXSW from an Expert
With Uber gone, Boston Co Gets Key SXSW Contract
Other SX Events – Taco Party March 13, Awesomest Journalism Party, WJChat meetup, Innovation Awards, March 14.
More Evrybit discussion
- Cecile Richards: The High Cost of Defunding Planned Parenthood
- Cory Booker on What It Means To Be United
- Ray Kurzweil and daughter Amy Fireside Chat at NASA
SXSW Everything from Texas Monthly Feb. 2015
Let’s review the final report from last year – find sxtxstate16_wrapup-final.pdf under Resources on TRACS.
Innovation Lab Update – Sara
- SXSW Accelerator
- SXSW Interactive Workshops
- Innovation Awards
- SXSW Gaming Expo
- SXSW Sports
- SXSW Create
- Online Harassment Summit
Final plans for the event!
Let’s look at Analytics – Google, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.
Plans for Thurs meetup. – 7pm at Convention Center.
Info for attending (sxsw_info.pdf); find on TRACS.
Evening – Preliminary meetup to discuss plans; might meet downtown at Convention Center/badge pickup
March 10-14 SXSW!
- WJChat Happy Hour, Fri, Gingerman
- Awesomest Journalism Party, Sat, Palm Door on 4th St.
- Taco Party March 14 6:30-8:30pm, 2nd floor conf 823 Congress, TX Tribune bldg
- Tues, Interactive Awards,
March 21 – quick check in on Hangout, initial impressions.
Rest of March/April
- Follow up with impressions on site.
- Prep presentation; weekly hangouts to check in
- Follow up activity with SXSW.
- ISOJ at UT – April 21-22
End of semester
Create your own panel proposal for next year! You could be a speaker at SXSW.
Tweets by @sxsw